Dubai-based Family Of Five Among Eight Keralites Dead In Nepal
Category: General
dubaibased-family-of-five-among-eight-keralites-dead-in-nepal_kuwait

A family of five Keralites who lived in Dubai were among the eight people who died after they fell unconscious probably due to a gas leak from a heater in their room at a mountainous resort in Nepal, police and Indian media said.

Tragedy struck a group of 15 tourists from Kerala in Nepal when eight of them, including four minors, died after they fell unconscious probably due to a gas leak from a heater in their room, police said, amidst cold wave in the Himalayan region.

The Kerala family living in Dubai, Praveen Krishnan Nair (39) and his wife Saranya (34) from Thiruvananthapuram, died along with their three kids, Sreebhadra (9), Aarcha (8) and Abhi Nair (7), according to media reports.

When contacted by Gulf News, the Consulate General of India (CGI) – Dubai said the consulate is waiting for details.

The Indian nationals were airlifted to HAMS hospital in Kathmandu where they were pronounced dead on arrival, Superintendent of Police Sushil Singh Rathaur said.

Makwanpur police said the victims might have fallen unconscious due to asphyxiation.

"All eight were airlifted and brought to hospital in Kathmandu. A doctor from the Indian mission was also immediately sent to the concerned hospital to check on welfare of patients and to provide necessary assistance," sources at the Indian Embassy in Kathmandu said.

"We have now been informed that all eight patients did not survive," they added.

The victims were identified as Praveen Krishnan Nair, Saranya Sasi, Sreebhadra Praveen, Aarcha Praveen, Abhinav Saranya Nair, Ranjith Kumar Adatholath Punathil, Indu Lakshmi Peethambaran Ragalatha and Vyshnav Ranjith.

The deceased - two couples and four children - were part of a group of 15 people travelling from Kerala to Pokhara, a popular mountainous tourist destination.

They were on their way back home and stayed at Everest Panorama Resort in Daman in Makawanpur district on Monday night.

According to the manager at the resort, the guests stayed in a room and turned on a gas heater to keep themselves warm.

Although they had booked a total of four rooms, eight of them stayed in a room and remaining others in another room, the manager said, adding that all the windows and the door of the room were bolted from inside.

The Indian mission has assured all necessary assistance to the family members of the victims.

In Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan condoled the death of Malayali tourists in Nepal.

On the directions of the chief minister, officials have taken steps to expedite procedures for the repatriation of the mortal remains of the victims, Kerala Chief Minister's office said.

 

SOURCE : GULFNEWS

22 Jan, 2020 0 2250
Posted Comments
FEEDBACK
@ www.arablocal.com All Rights Reserved
@ www.arablocal.com All Rights Reserved